How to introduce a string to a named value in the Test Manager?

Hello,

I’m trying to insert a named value in the Test Manager for a sign, “Minimum Speed”. But I’m not sure how to do it, I’ve tried:

• Minimum Speed
  • (Minimum Speed)
  • “Minimum Speed”
  • $(Minimum Speed)

None of those worked.

So in short, how do I insert a string named value to modify a Road Scenario? More specifically a Sign in in the scenario?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Raúl Kevin Viana

I think the answer lies somewhere in section 14.5 of the UserGuide.pdf

In CarMaker there are two main types of variables that can be used for test automation:

• Named Values: which can vary parameters in the GUI
  • Key Value: which can vary parameters in the infofile

I am assuming that using a Named Value is the correct choice for your case, since it is the most common type. Could you explain or take a screenshot of where you are trying to place this Named Variable?

The correct format for Named Values can be seen below. Where the first example is for a Floating number and the second is for a character.

Furthermore, Named values can also be used in combination with Realtime Expression.

So, my guess then is that the correct format for you variable is:

$Minimum_Speed

Optionally, you could also add a default value

$Minimum_Speed=30

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for taking your time to answer my question.

Going into the details of what I’m trying to achieve; I’m trying to change a road sign through a Named Value. To do that I created Named Value for the road sign in the Scenario Window. The problem I’m having is that when I try to assign a specific sign through the Test Manager window, the sign doesn’t change. My question is: How can I change it? What do I write in the Value column in the Test Manager to change the sign in the Scenario?

Thanks again for your time.
Best Regards.
Raúl Kevin Viana

I have prepared a small example (CarMaker 10), where I change the displayed Speed Limit on the Traffic signs by Test Manager:
Forums_323.zip (67.5 KB)

The parameters that need to be changed can be seen in the picture below:

Please be aware that changing the traffic signs does not influence the driving speed. This can be implemented by a Marker as seen in the picture below:

1 Like

Hello Alejandro,

Maybe I wasn’t clear in what I’m trying to do. I’m not trying to change the value of a Speed Limit sign, I’m trying to completely change the sign. For instance, from a Stop Sign to a Tunnel Sign.

In this example, I assigned a Named Value to the type of sign entry. It is in yellow, in the right tab. Now I want to change the sign type. I did everything similar from what you described, but my problem is what should I write in the Value column in the Test Manager to change the sign.

Thanks again for your time.
Best Regards.
Raúl Kevin Viana

In CarMaker there are two main types of variables that can be used for test automation:

• Named Value: which can vary parameters in the GUI
  • Key Value: which can vary parameters in the infofile

Since I am not able to set a Named Value (NValue) in the GUI (e.g. $MyValue=50) that tells me that I need to use the other type of variable, Key Value (KValue). To show how to do it properly, I have updated the example:
Forums_323.zip (85.1 KB)

In order to figure out what the KValue names and values are, I can save a dummy test run, where I have changed the type of sign (e.g. Sign_Stop, Sign_Tunnel). This TestRuns are not needed, but they help one to find out the correct naming. Please note, that a combination of KValues and NValues can be used.

The parameters needed for each variation can be seen in the pictures below:

Please mark this reply as the Solution if you find it satisfactory.
2022-10-11_08h23_37

Also, don’t forget to ask , and also answer more questions in the forum!

1 Like

Hello,

This solves my problem!

Thanks for the help.
Best regards,
Raúl Kevin Viana